Fort Jones Frontier Hardware, occupying what was originally the brick and mortar Diggles Building, was built in 1861 for a cost of $2,300.00. The original owner was H.J. Diggles, who also owned & operated the Blind Lode Mine in the Oro Fino Mining District, 5 ½ miles northeast of Greenview. Around that same time, Ernest Reichman started his first General Merchandise Store on the corner of Main and Newton Streets in Fort Jones. After several moves, Reichman moved his General Merchandise Store into the Diggles building. Byrne & Wayne followed as owners. In April of 1945, Eddie Edgecomb bought the store and it became known as Eddie Edgecomb Mercantile. The store passed to Eddie's step-son, Francis Farley in 1973. He sold it in July of 1977 to Mark Peiper and Butch Dombrowsky. Peiper later sold it to Ron and Kay Bryan with Harold Tuey, who changed the name to Frontier Hardware. In February of 2005, Ron Bryan sold to Earl Taulbee.
Earl and Allison Taulbee have made many improvements and changes, bringing new life to the near 150-year-old establishment. They are interested in the history of both their store & the area and are bringing history to life with a slide show of historic photos for interested customers to peruse while shopping. Frontier Hardware is located just next to the Fort Jones Museum, which houses the hardware store's vintage cash register, among other treasures.